How can performance driven culture change an organization?
Every organization has its own unique culture. This could have been painstakingly woven by the management after evaluating what is best suited for their organization, or could have just been ingrained over a period of time due to certain set of incidences. However, the cause of its presence, the culture of an organization largely impacts on how an organization achieves or realizes its end business objectives.
The performance driven culture
A performance driven culture is an organizational culture wherein the entire organization is driven by a motivation to perform and achieve organizational success. Here, the ownership of the performance management process is not only on the HR but the entire organization claims accountable for the same. Performance is driven at each and every level by clearly setting up goals and targets, continuously monitoring and measuring achievements, rewarding on a timely basis and overall sustaining high energy and motivational levels.
How is it achieved?
In an organization with a performance driven culture, employees are considered as key assets. Employees are the ones who actually do the jobs that result in a business outcome. So, organizations focus on their employees and their development by defining a strong performance management process. Here, the work level responsibilities expected out of each employee level is clearly defined and informed to all employees. Also, their goals or targets to be achieved are set and clearly communicated. Employees are continuously monitored on their performance by well-defined performance measurement metrics and are also rewarded based on their performance.
Benefits of this approach
In such organizations, the performance management process is not a one-time process but a continuous process of evaluation, feedback, correction and development. This approach to employee performance management also helps in the following:
- Identify employee strength and weakness, and the organization can take necessary steps to develop the skill-sets of employees.
- Becomes easier to identify potential leaders within the organization who can be groomed well to serve as future leaders.
- Increases the overall sense of well-being and satisfaction levels within the organization as employees know the organization cares for the growth of their career and skills.
- Enables the shift to a cultural mindset that directly links employee performance management to achievement of end business objectives.
- Creates a highly motivated and energized employee population who try to excel at their set targets and thereby leads to achievement of business goals and overall organizational success.