How Performance Management Process can be manually handled? Is there a mere possibility?
Performance Management is not a once a year process to manage data manually and it does not evaluate just a couple of employees at your work place. It’s an everyday process that involves all time collaboration between manager and his employees and the HRs, as well.
Performance Management, in simple words, is to communicate organization’s goals to employees, make them aligned towards it, continuously track their performances and where they stand, periodically assess employee’s performances and provide them with more frequent feedback, motivate and reward every employee’s outstanding work. Performance management is the logical algorithm to arrive at your organization’s objectives. It actually solves your business equation aligning employees towards organization’s goals.
Since, performance management is a continuous, on-going process that involves the entire work force at your organization; it needs a lot of documentation and report analytics to eradicate speculative decision making.
Performance Management when done manually
Performance Management when done manually involves labor intense work followed by consensus meetings, one-on-one discussions that would end up stacking pile of papers at your desk. Both the manager and the HR has to document results of every employee performances, every time, every week, month and so on and keep it updated. This will keep accumulating multiple excel sheets and over the year-end you cannot even compare between employees to come to a conclusion on who performs better and who needs improvement or assistance.
Drawbacks of Manual System
- Managers may not spend time with their team members to understand their skills & competencies but move them to review process.
- Employees may not get proper assistance around their less performing areas.
- To collate performance results from day 1 till date is not merely possible. Therefore managers tend to remember only the recent performances of employees.
- Managers may not have proper analysis on every employee’s performances.
Thus, a manually maintained system is completely ineffective, wastes potential staffing hours, neither provides tangible feedback nor performance measurement data.
In addition, the manually maintained system has the following challenges, as well.
Lack of Integration :
In a manually maintained system, one cannot track if employees travel along the organization’s goals because they don’t have a proper tracking system in place. It is essential for any employee to set his/her business objective and all the employees’ team up together to pursue the objective. The individual’s and team’s objectives must be aligned with that of organizations. Strategic and procedural flow must run between performance management system, human resource management processes and the organization structure to carry out a fair appraisal process which is not possible when done manually.
Design Challenges :
Though all the organizations tend to follow a common framework, their work etiquette might differ. The performance management system should address the needs of the organization and must be configured in such a way that it adheres to all levels of management.
How to manage ever changing employee data?
Employee data is magnificent that requires lot of manipulation and interpretation. Performance Management System that handles employee data comprises of the following continuous processes: set goals, track, review, assess every employee’s performances, provide feedback and document inferences and every resultant. Only continuous tracking shall fetch employee’s productive throughput that enables successive growth of the organization.
Automated Employee Management System(EMS)
A fully automated Talent Management System is the prime need of the hour that sneaks through organization’s goals and provides customized engagement to changing business needs. Most of the organizations have effective business acumen but what they don’t have in place is a suitable and a completely automated performance management system that facilitates the growth of their organization.
An automated EMS does not require additional resources or hardware as it runs on the cloud and encompasses entire process involved in an employee work cycle. The system keeps track of the following employee data:
- Personal information (personal details, contact details, etc.)
- Professional information (company details, location, contact details, etc.)
- Organizational information (domain, department, associated manager, HR, etc.)
- Employee Tasks (employee goals, to do list, time frame for every goal, time elapsed on any goal, etc.)
- Performance (employee performance w.r.t every task assigned to him/her, manager review phase, etc.)
- Feedback (appreciation or constructive feedback from manager, peers, clients, etc.)
Most importantly, employee information can be accessed from anywhere on any device (desktop, tablet, mobile). Thus this is the best practice and highly insightful to handle strategic business needs.
Benefits of Automated Employee Management System
A fully automated system
- Should be job specific, and suit the wide organization spectrum.
- Aligns employees with the organization’s objectives.
- Includes a collaborative process for setting goals and reviewing performances and makes the communication two-way between employee and the manager.
- Provides continuous feedback – positive feedback on good work and constructive feedback on areas where improvements are needed.
- Supports administrative decision-making about promotion, compensation and rewards.
- Should be able to provide quick analysis on dashboard and easy to generate reports.